Sunday, April 17, 2011

Mobile shopping

I just came across an article discussing how mobile shopping has failed to take off. The problem, it seems, is that retailers' mobile sites are so difficult to use. It just goes to show how important it is to put the time in and not just assume a new technology will automatically equate to a windfall for your business without any effort on your part. People's time is as valuable to them as their money, and they aren't about to waste it just to get to your product(s). In my opinion, the goal should be to make it so easy for them, it doesn't feel like it requires any effort at all (case in point: iTunes).

Warning: This article is from the New York Times and will count toward your 20-story limit. In fact, after I clicked on it, I got a notice letting me know it was my last free article for the month, so tomorrow I'll get to find out how annoying the newly implemented paywall really is.

2 comments:

Kate F said...

I completely agree that the goal needs to be ease of use. Just because you create an app doesn't mean it is going to succeed if you don't put in the time to evaluate and test it for bugs. I tried to purchase a deal from living social the other day on my phone but the purchase button didn't work. I never went back to purchase it later. Companies need to put in the extra $$ now to make good apps and they will make up for it with more profits later.

Professor Pallavi Kumar said...

I agree - I also think that mobile technology has to evolve too. For instance, in the Apple store, don't they have phones that you can slide a credit card into? I think there needs to be more gadgets like that for mobile transactions to really take off.